Thursday, July 05, 2012

Les Mis
Another classic I'd never seen. Les Mis was definitely on my show bucket list. It was being done at the Segerstrom Center in OC. My friend Candy went with me. We decided on a pre show dinner at Mortons. OK, I'm just going to say it, "YUM!" I could easily have made a meal of their bread alone. Its this huge round garlic loaf which is absolutely to die for. After that it was scallops and creamed spinach and, to top it all off, chocolate souffle!

With our bellies stuffed full of rich food we quickly made the two minute drive to the theater and got into our seats. I was a bit nervous about them actually because, by the time I bought them, the only options were the very front row or way, way back in the balcony. I chose the front row and hoped for the best. I have to say it was really neat being so close to the stage. For once I could really see the detail of the costumes and every single expression on the actors' faces. The only drawback is that we were so close that we could actually see their mike's which had a little speaker thing that dropped onto their foreheads. It was a bit distracting at first but I quickly go used to it and overall it was a fair trade off. Plus, no heads in front of you to block the view!

Most people know the story set in the early 1800s; after being imprisoned for 19 yrs for stealing a loaf of bread to feed his starving nephew, Jean Valjean breaks his parole and then spends the rest of his life seeking to maintain freedom and find peace and redemption.

The acting and singing were fantastic. The man who played Valjean did one particular song so beautifully I almost felt like giving him a standing ovation in the middle of the show. Don't worry. I showed restraint. But what a wonderful performance it was.

I was also impressed by the Segerstrom which is a very nice and modern styled venue. Being in OC it was definitely a different crowd than I'm used to in LA. I was completely tickled that at the souvenier table after the show everyone was lined up single file and waiting patiently to make their purchases. This is not something I've seen at the Pantages, ever. There, everyone just crowds around and pushes their way forward. Standing single file, so cute ;-)

I give the whole evening a 10+!

That enormous thing on the table in front of us is the $19 souffle :-)
Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That dinner sounds SOOO good!! OMG! and to be up front like you were for the show must have been a great experience. Looks like you had fun.:-)