Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Theatre Season continues
We went this past friday. It was a replacement show for one we had to miss last year. It was raining and cold outside but I was still looking forward to the evening with my mom.

Overall, I'd give it a 5 out of 10. I know many people have just adored this show and I believe that Hal Holbrook won a Tony for his performance but, honestly, it just wasn't my cup of tea. Parts of it were entertaining but sometimes I had a bit of difficulty understanding his southern drawl and a lot of it was just boring. The most interesting part was that much of the commentary and criticism re: politics, religion and journalism are just as true today as they were when Twain lived 100 yrs ago. But, those morsels were just too far and few between for me.

So, while I enjoyed the evening with my mom and I'm glad to say that I experienced Holbrook's performance, I can't say that I would recommend it to others. Sorry Hal.

No comments: