Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Zoo trip!
I love this time of year. For the most part, the days are warm and clear and the nights are cool. It was one of those perfect days this past weekend so we hit the zoo. So fun!
As always, first stop Stinkingoes!!!
And, G always has to have her picture done with this guy
We were able to snag a front table at the giraffe burger place and watch them for awhile. Super fun since there's a brand new baby giraffe.... ahhhhh! Oh, and don't worry the don't serve giraffe burgers there... its not even really called giraffe burger, that's just what we call it.
While my favs are always the giraffes and the zebras, Bobby is fascinated by the chimps. They are pretty great. I was surprised to see that one of the foods they were eating was whole bell peppers, it seemed like they were a treat for them.

As soon as we got there Georgie asked about riding the carousel which she loves! We saved it for later in the day. When we bought the ticket G was pretty insistent that she wanted to ride by herself. She's done it before so it really wasn't too big of a deal. She chose the giraffe!

See how happy she looks??
Ummm, yeah. Not sure exactly what happened but after I got her up on her giraffe, I went and found a spot on a bench. The carousel came around and I looked up to wave at G and found that she was in tears!!! What the heck??? I immediately ran over to the exit where I was told by the snippy worker I couldn't stand there. I explained my dd was in tears to which she responded in a witchy voice "what do you want me to do? stop the carousel?" I told her "Yes, that's EXACTLY what I want you to do!" Seriously, what did she think? I was just going to sit there and watch my kid spin around on the carousel for the next 3-4 mins while my kid cried hysterically. Some people are so dumb.

The reason for her tears? Moments after I walked away, she'd decided that riding by herself wasn't such a good idea; she wanted mommy. Poor thing. Just when I started to think the separation anxiety issues were a thing of the past, they pop up again. After a few minutes of hugs she calmed down and was ready to move on with her day. Unfortunately, she didn't want to take another spin at the carousel, even with mommy. Bummer. It had been a long day and she was tired. I'm hoping it was more about that than other stuff. Probably her age has something to do with it.

Anyway, at that point we moved on to Georgie's favorite part of the zoo: the petting area. G could happily spend her day brushing and stroking the goats and sheep. She talks to them, makes friends with them and vigilantly follows them from place to place attending to their imagined needs :-)
Other than the blip with the carousel, it was a really, really nice day.

No comments: