Sunday, September 27, 2009

And then there was one...
Kid that is. Its been a week.

Seven days ago Bobby and I dropped Brett (kid 1) and Casey (kid 2) off at school. This is Brett's third year so you think I'd be used to it by now, but no. Bobby took Brett. He's skipping the dorm this year and sharing a 3 bedroom, ocean-front duplex with 3 girls and 3 other boys (yes, that's a total of 7!!).

I took Casey. We loaded up his stuff, you know, all the usual: twin XL sheet and comforter set, desk lamp, pens and papers and a costco sized package of cup a noodles. It was hot, Casey was a bit grouchy. Its a big step for him. He'd been excited and nervous. He said he wasn't but he was. G went with us to drop off big brother. As usual she was a trooper. I'm pretty sure I didn't see any other parents dragging a toddler along while they dropped off their college kid. It made me feel old and, to tell the truth, a little out of place. I'm not sure why. I think I was nervous too.

So, like I said, its been a week. I've talked to each of them a few times for a few mins each and asked the expected questions. I've asked them what they've been eating, how they like their roommates, do they like their classes, etc. But what I really want to ask is "How did you grow up so quickly?" and "Where did all the time go?" Sigh.

In some ways its not so bad. My house is cleaner than its been in quite some time and I don't have to keep reminding them to be quiet while G is napping. I can only imagine how much money we'll be saving on groceries. But, in general, it's awfully quiet. Even though they were off doing their own thing most of the time they were still around and now they're not. Its depressing.

G looked for them the first day or two. She's stopped now. They'll be back home for Thanksgiving break in 59 days. Not that I'm counting :-)

No comments: