Monday, June 25, 2007

Freaks and Geeks:
So, we went to Venice Beach yesterday...

Bobby's been wanting to go for awhile. Some time back, we decided that we've lived in Southern California all our lives --a place that people from all over the world love to visit-- and yet we have never seen many of the sights. We've also been trying to save money by not going on a big vacation. Therefore, we came to the conclusion that we could take many mini-vacations from work (Thurs-Mon) and check out some of the truly interesting things to see right in our own backyard! Its been working out great.

For anyone who has never been to Venice Beach, I can tell you, it was pretty interesting. The weather was fantastic, truly beautiful, the kind that postcards are made of.

There were many, many freaks and several geeks (including Bobby and me!!!). I saw more dred locks than I've ever seen in my entire life and some pretty amazing tattoos! Muscle Beach was almost vacant but the street performers were really interesting including one acrobatic-type show that impressed the bejeezers out of me --a guy did a front flip over 10 people!!! on the concrete!!!! without a mat!!! or a spotter!!!! Eeeek!!!

Other things I saw:
--a guy with all the hair on his head shaved except two little "horns" sticking up dyed red and tattoos of flames coming up both calves offering to let people take a pic with him for money
--a perfectly typical-looking African American man late 50s wearing a polo shirt, also offering to let people take a pic with him for money
--several street vendors selling anti-Bush/anti-war stuff
--a little-person with no legs, maneuvering himself with his hands laying tummy-down on a skateboard (he was quick too)
--the rattiest, dirtiest looking clown you could ever imagine (honestly, it looked like he'd been sleeping in a trash can for years) offering to make balloon animals for a dollar --I didn't see any takers
--a man selling reggae kid's music: think "Itsy, Bitsy Spider" Marley style, it was actually kind of cool, I was thinking about buying a CD but for some reason didn't
--at least 10 tattoo/piercing businesses in a 1/2 mile and at least as many people selling incense

And, probably the most memorable:
--a unhealthily over-tanned guy wearing skin-tight dolphin shorts and nothing else with a cardboard sign reading "fat girlfriend needs cheeseburger, donations accepted"

Anyway, it was lots of fun and, other than having to pay $20 to park, a fairly inexpensive outing. I'd strongly recommend it to others as a great diversion.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Venice. It is a wonderful place to walk around. Did you go to 3rd street? Or the Rose Cafe (*best oatmeal around)?

walternatives said...

Sounds like a circus sideshow and well worth the hefty parking fee.

Susan said...

We didn't go the the Rose Cafe, not sure about 3rd street. We parked in the middle in front of the big V sign, walked all the way down one side, back to middle, down the other side, back to middle including a few side streets.

Valerie said...

I am a nataive Californian too; and tried to stay away from as many of freak attractions as possible. It is somewhere to go to get a slice of life.

Thanks for visitig my blog; I've added you to my blog roll.

Valerie said...

I can't believe you had the same name picked out. I merged two family names to come up with it.

Georgiana is also a lovely name (I love the shortened version of Georgie!)

Great minds think alike!!

wzgirl said...

$20 to park? Really? I guess I haven't been there in a while...and back then we didn't care about walking. I LOVE Venice! Love it. So many great memories. Got my first (& only) tattoo there. I've even seen that rasta guy on roller skates many times! (The one painted into the big ol' mural). I'm actually really, really craving a trip to LA - Venice is always on the agenda!

Have you been to Melrose? Another FUN day trip - not as many freaks. Of course, great shopping!