Tuesday, August 15, 2006

"How are you today?"
After one of the more stressful work mornings I've had in awhile, I quickly went around the drive through at the local McDonalds so I could stuff my face with some comfort food before racing off to my afternoon appearance (also guaranteed to be a nightmare). I was pretty much in my own little world-- turning up the air and fiddling with the radio while snapping my pink Razor shut as I ended a frustrating call with my son. Then, all of a sudden, there it was... the question.

It was posed by the young girl who stood beyond the window while she was placing the lid on the cup of my oh-so-desired Diet Coke. She was cute with her hair pulled back and neatly hidden under her McCap-- about 17 years old I'd reckon, if I was the "reckoning" sort. The way she asked left me with the impression that she didn't have a care in the world. That may not have been true. She may have had lots of stress gurgling behind that 17 year old smile. She may have had boyfriend problems, she may have been worried about failing highschool or not getting into the right college. She could have had horrendous family problems. Don't know. But, back to the question...

"How are you today?" she asked.

My immediate (and thankfully internal) response was "well, if you really want to know... its pretty tough here in Susanland. I'm under more pressure at this time of my life and feeling more out of control than I ever have, ever. I'm bombarded by work, parents, kids, and adoption frustrations. I'm part of the sandwich generation and I'M GETTING THE SQUEEZE! I FEEL TIRED ALL THE TIME AND SLEEP DOESN'T FIX IT!!! I'M READY TO JUMP OUT OF MY SKIN AND NOT JUMP BACK IN!!! I'M..."

"Fine, thank you" I responded, exuding calm.

I think I even managed a smile.

3 comments:

OziMum said...

I hear ya!

Lee-Anne

Kim M. said...

Great post Susan. Hang in there!

Thanks by the way I'm hungry now!

Alyson and Ford said...

Don't we all want to find a sympathtic (or is that empathic?) ear to listen to our story.
It's not about us; it is all about a little baby girl waiting and yet the world around us consumes our energy and not always with a positive result.
Try not to do so much.
Ask yourself if it really needs to be done (will anyone get hurt or die if you don't do it?). I hope you can find some quiet time to journal, read a book (and the Bible!) hug your family or meditate with soothing music. Whatever works for you.

I wish you peace.
Alyson